Sitting with a cup of coffee in hand, I told my dad my husband and I planned to homeschool my sons with my husband.
My hair was dark brown, My oldest was jumping on the sofa and my second son was getting ready for another surgery.
Dad looked me straight in the eyes, “Bekki, you’re crazy and you’re setting yourself up for failure.”
- Being a good wife is a full-time job
- Raising children is a full-time job
- Managing a home is a full-time job
- Orchestrating all the doctors and surgeries for my son was a full-time job
How was I possibly going to squeeze in designing personalized educational plans, choosing curriculum, mapping out lesson plans AND teaching multiple kids on multiple levels…
…when each of those things was also a full-time job?
- a few friends to paved the way
Turns out, we were both right.
I couldn’t do it all and many times I failed, but the Lord met me every step of the way. In the presence of successful homeschooling moms I learned to:
- Set master Homeschooling goals
- Focus on the heart of the child
- Expect them to success at their own pace
- Plan dinner at breakfast time
- Create customized curriculum
- and so much more
Now that my hair looks like angles ran their fingers through my locks and added glitter, my oldest sons are in college, and my younger sons are gearing up for high school or college themselves, my heart is focused on giving back.
The Homeschool Huddle meets for 2 Live sessions (ish) a month and will include:
- Strategy sessions– Where we can chat about exactly what your biggest hurdles are at the moment and come up with a game plan together. Like how to schedule a day, how to break a curriculum into doable chunks, how to teach writing, etc…
- Deep Dives– Where we discuss a particular topic, like creating a lesson plan, decluttering, meal preparation, or a chunk of math lessons together
- Accountability– Where we tell each other what we’ll be working on and then check in to see how we are progressing over the month.
Related: Printable Huddle Schedule of Topics
This is where we will run into a safe circle, link arms and discuss what’s going on in the game right now.
For you, for me, and the sisters to our right and left.
It’s like a private club, only you won’t have to wear jewels and gossip and drama is NOT be tolerated.
- Strategy sessions where we work together to come up with a workable plan for whatever stage you are in currently.
- Deep Dives where we dive into a topic that is needed for our group.
Both sessions will vary from month to month and will cover topics like:
- Lesson planning
- Breaking apart lessons
- Praying over out kids
- Teaching multiple grades/ages
- Meal planning
- Character training
- and much more
What moms are saying about the Huddles.
“Thank you, Bekki! So needed!” -Reagan
“How cool is this?!?!?!”- Claudy
“Thanks, Bekki! You’re the best!”-Molly
“Thanks, Bekki! I’m saving this in my resources for later!”-Elisabeth
Can’t wait to see you inside! Because I still remember panicking when I began homeschooling…
- What the heck was I doing?
- Was I going to destroy my children’s education?
- Could I homeschool successfully?
Thank goodness, I found a small group of homeschool moms to come alongside and guide me!
Get started now!
About 20 years ago, my husband tricked me into homeschooling.
I was completely against the idea and thought the few homeschoolers I knew were weird.
I was convinced I could not educate my own kids either. He didn’t care. Well, he cared. He just knew we were supposed to do it. He asked me to try it for one year. “If it’s terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad then we can quit.”
That was almost two decades ago.
Homeschooling is hard.
Had I known that from the beginning I might have quit before I figured out I could actually do it.
Let’s stop trying to be perfect homeschoolers and realize that we need each other on this crazy journey.
Where you can find all of the homeschooling goodness?
A Better Way to Homeschool On this website you will find:
- Lots of articles about homeschooling. I suggest you peek here first.
This is a public page focusing on bringing you resources, freebies, and encouragement for homeschooling all with character training in mind.
This spot on the internet is special. This closed group is filled with new and veteran homeschool moms who are lazer focused on the character training of their kids. But it's more than that. It's a community of homeschooling friends who are excited to get to know each other. We chat about parenting, babies, food, activities, books, and even homeschooling. But ALWAYS with the character of our kids as our primary goal.
This is a positive, encouraging and loving group. Although we laugh a lot, meanness, scorning, and overall yucky behavior is not tolerated. Come join us!
You Tube Channel, BetterWay2Homeschool
A growing collection of videos about homeschooling, some dating back to my days of shoulder length hair and toothless kids!